Thursday, December 11, 2014

I am loved, African Violet Terrarium Style

Coming home today after a long day, I couldn't wait to put my jammies on and chill at home. Yet, right before I walked in the door, I checked the mail quick and, to my surprise, a package was waiting for me. 

Because I'm loved, my bestie sent me a Hanging Terrarium with a small, purple African Violet from Etsy. Thank you, Maryann! I love it! 

Receiving this awesome Christmas gift sparked my need to share it with you. 

Terrariums serve as microclimates for plants. A microclimate is an area that has a different climate than its surrounding climate. And many plants can thrive in these microclimates, including spider plants, pothos, succulents, and African violets. All you need is the proper soil, which can range from typical potting soil to a more sandy mixture, moss to retain moisture, any decorations you might want to include in the terrarium, and your plant of choice. 





Just as normal-size African violets, this pint-size violet needs bright but indirect light and it must be kept evenly moist throughout but not soggy. African violets hate two things: 1) to have soggy "feet", or roots, and to have wet leaves. Wet feet lead to root rot and mold. Wet leaves lead to "burning" and death for the violet usually because their fuzzy leaves cannot take the minerals and salts typically found in tap water. To alleviate, you carefully lift the violet's foliage and water below the leaves or you can fill a tray with water, set the plant in for a few minutes, then drain. The roots will soak up the water from the bottom. It's simple. Last, to keep the plant healthy, pinch and toss any spent flowers, so new ones can bloom. 

This is your public service announcement for African Violets and mini's in terrariums (and my Master Gardeners)! 


Thank you, Maryann! It's perfect. 



No comments: