Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Summer's Quest

My quest this summer is to learn about what is growing in the garden. I mean really learn. Right now I am in the phase of thinking everything is cool, pretty and just merely wonderful because Mother Nature is just neat. My next step, however, is to learn the what, how, when, and whys of the garden.

With that, I am starting with Rhubarb! If you're asking, Rhubarb?!? Really? Why? Well, it's early yet in the growing season and it's the one of few things growing brilliantly right now...so, yep, Rhubarb!

First off, who knew the leaves of rhubarb are toxic (the leaves contain high concentrations of oxalic acid crystals which can cause serious problems when eaten, causing the tongue and throat to swell, even prevent breathing)?!? I did not, but I've never really eaten the leaves either (thank goodness), but other parts of the plant have culinary uses (yum, strawberry-rhubarb pie) and medicinal (a laxative...not so yum). They are perrenial (I knew that), but I did not know they grow from short, thick rhizomes.

According to wikipedia (don't judge), "rhubarb is usually considered to be a vegetable; however, in the United States, a New York court decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit, it was to be counted as a fruit for the purposes of regulations and duties. A side effect was a reduction on imported rhubarb tariffs, as tariffs were higher for vegetables than fruits."

Outside of Wiki, there is a website specifically and solely dedicated to Rhubarb, The Rhubarb Compendium. This site features Rhubarb as a perrenial vegetable and is home to over 300 rhubarb recipes, from liquer to pies, breads to candy. Apparently, rhubarb "...originated in Asia over 2,000 years ago. It was initially cultivated for its medicinal qualities, it was not until the 18th century that rhubarb was grown for culinary purposes in Britain and America. Rhubarb is often commonly mistaken to be a fruit [see above] but rhubarb is actually a close relative of garden sorrel, and is therefore a member of the vegetable family. Rhubarb is rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber."

One of the coolest factors I learned about Rhubarb is the medicinal uses. According to the Rhubarb Compendium, the root can be used as an antiseptic, astringent, diuretic, laxative, purgative, tonic, and many others...


Week 1

Week 2
Yet, the most striking uses of rhubarb do not include ingestion, but everyday things around the house...cleaning your pots and pans, dying your hair, an insecticide. Visit The Rhubarb Compendium for edible and non-edible recipes! Enjoy!
Week 3


6 comments:

Deena Nicole said...

So interesting! I have known rhubarb to be very easy to grow because of its weed-like nature. Who knew that it is so versatile? Thanks for sharing, Jessica, and your rhubarb is growing beautifully!

John Montana said...

I was never very fond of eating rubarb raw or in a pie! I guess I should try with it being so healthy. I was able to acquire a taste for strawberries and blueberries, which, by the way, have always been categorized as fruits! (As far as I Know). Uncle John

jm's greenspace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jm's greenspace said...

Hi John! So great to hear from you. I am determined to try some rhubarb recipes this year. Thanks for reading!

jm's greenspace said...

I had no idea either. I've been clowned for writing about rhubarab, but I don't care! I thought it was interesting. Thanks so much for reading!!!

Tricia said...

I loved this mini-lesson on rhubarb. Thank you!!