Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Discoveries

I discovered a new site today...The Iowa Native Plant Society. It is a simple forum for "plant enthusiasts, gardeners, and professional botanists to exchange ideas and information, and to work together to:

  • encourage conservation and ethical use of Iowa's plants
  • promote education about Iowa's plants, their habitats and cultural habits, and the preservation of these plants and their environment
  • appreciate and enjoy Iowa's native flora"
I am especially appreciative of finding this website because this weekend I visited the Ledges State Park. We hiked through all sorts of vegetation for roughly three hours. Unfortunately, I realized, I had no idea what type of vegetation surrounds me. So between the IDOT Plant Profiler Roadway Living Trust Fund (see My Favorites) and the new-to-me Iowa Native Plant Society, hopefully I will be more aware of my surroundings because the traditional, "ooh, pretty."

For more information, I've added The Iowa Native Plant Society link to My Favorites. Check it out!






No comments: